Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Defeated...

So this will not be my most cheerful blog post yet, but it is supposed to be about what is going on in my life right?? Well apparently I am not even able to get a job at Starbucks which was supposed to be my back-up plan.  I filled out my online application earlier this week because they said they were hiring at certain locations nearby, and then personally drove around to all the locations to put a face to my name.  Didn't help.  I also got email notifications that people "more qualified" than me were hired at the Marriott front desk job and at the hospital as a SECRETARY.  I also never got a call back for my application as a teller with Suntrust (did I mention I have 5 years of teller experience?)
Ok, I'll get off my high horse in a minute, but how are so many darn people more qualified than me?  Did they major in latte making and the checking out of keys?  I could have sworn that actually completeing college was supposed to be a good thing AND years of professional experience (especially in customer service and a retail setting) would help me get a job.  It is very hard to look into the eyes of the 17 year old with a tongue ring at Starbucks and hear her say "we are just not hiring right now."  It was hard enough to even consider applying for some of these jobs after years of working to where I was in my career a month ago.  Earning a Masters and then working very very long hours to become an AP teacher was hard and I very much earned the pay I got.... I have finally accepted that there are no teaching jobs, but I never dreamed it would be this hard just to find employment. 
My office lady at my apartment complex is my new headhunter and she connected me with a teacher in the complex at a nearby high school who (duh!) told me there were no openings.  She did tell me to fill out a sub application though (another duh).  Being a sub won't get me benefits however.
She also told me the other hospital was not hiring registrars or biller collectors (super) but that she would keep an ear out for hotel jobs (which apparently I am not qualified for). 
I have gotten a little stir crazy recently because I really do like to interact with people and feel like I am doing something meaningful with me time.  So I decided to volunteer at a local museum.  Well, it turns out they take their volunteering pretty serious around here and because I missed the first July Wednesday morning training (there are 4 four hour sessions and a test!), I can not train to be a volunteer until October now. Another Super.  I guess this is just not my week here in the SAV.  And I know you will be tempted to tell me it will all work out and that something will "come" my way.... but if I hear that again I might yell so be careful of what you comment! Love and hugs! and I promise to be more cheerful next time...

2 comments:

  1. Jenny, I went through the same thing you are going through when we moved to Shelby after we got married. It took me a month or more to find a job and that's when I started working at Ruby Tuesday. I didn't understand how someone with a college education couldn't get a job. And on top of that, my only friend there was Erik. It's tough out there and I remember being stir crazy. Needless to say during my unemployment our apartment was very clean and I never missed an episode of As the World Turns. :) Love you and MIss you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, honey, no cliches from me either... I too have been rejected by Starbucks in the past and I am pretty sure it is b/c when I did get interviewed and they said, "So, is $7/hour good for starting... you can move up to $8 really quickly...." I LITERALLY LAUGHED. Probably not the greatest decision but it was one of those gut reactions.... surprised I didn't spit my latte all over him! At least I did get a free Caramel Latte out of it! HA! I mean... I am with you. I finally ended up working at Sylvan and waiting tables at Outback, until I actually DID go crazy, and ended up working at a place I said I would NEVER work for...a hospital (I hate hospitals). Vent as much as you want to/need to, honey... isn't that what blogs are for??? :) LOVE YOU!!!

    ReplyDelete