Monday, August 30, 2010

Missing Savannah Already

It is weird to think that we are already packing up our little apartment in Savannah.  We are only moving 20 miles north to Hardeeville, SC but in some ways I will feel less connected to Savannah and I am sad!  I think we will still come in on weekends for dinner and fun outings and I am of course going to keep up with my 2 bookclubs, but I will no longer be able to go walking at Lake Mayer Park with Rebecca during the week or shop at the nearby mall or get my haircut downtown. 
On a positive note, I really do like the town we are moving to.  Our address will be Hardeeville, but if you spit you could reach Sun City and Bluffton SC.  Both of these small towns sit right on the water and are before the bridges that reach Hilton Head Island.  They are much smaller than Savannah (which is smaller than Greensboro!) so I feel like I keep going down in town size.  It is the type of place where you only have one movie theatre option and you are lucky if it has stadium seating.  I will probably also start running into some of my students which I have always tried to avoid, but it sure beats the hour commute.  However, everything in Bluffton is new with nice grocery stores like Publix, nice eateries, and thank goodness there is still a Target, Barnes and Noble, and a brand spanking new Wally World. 
Overall however, I am still in love with Savannah.  We are coming up on my favoritee time of year down here (and yes, I do know because Jason moved down here LAST October!).  Summer lingers here well into October but the humidity lessens and you can wear dresses or jeans and a short-sleeved top well into "fall."   Our new apartment that we move into on Sept. 10th will have a screened porch that we can not wait to use! The nights are especially comfortable outside and I am getting very excited for all of the festivals on River Street.  We are missing a big one this Labor Day weekend to come home, but we are looking forward to Oktoberfest, PirateFest, and officially going to our first UGA game in Athens in November with our friends Rebecca and Jenn. 
I honestly can not believe how easily we settled into our new city and jobs.  Last year was so hard with Jason and I being 5 hours apart and we couldn't wait to be back together and really start a married life together.  Well, it has been almost 2 and half months and it has been both extremely trying and exciting!  Many people say that moving to a new city as a married couple strengthens you because you have to rely on each other so much and I do think that it is true.... but maybe it is because Jason works second shift and I work first that we have also had to rely on ourselves.  We have each made our own friends and really found happiness in our careers and interests outside of our relationship as well.  I won't say that I don't eagerly await the weekends so I can spend time with my hubby, but I am very thrilled with the new people I have met here in Savannah and how much fun I can have even when Jason is at work!!
I am very happy we have signed a year's lease at Courtney Bend apartments and as much as I would love to move back to NC, I actually hope we do not have to break this lease before next September. 

1 comment:

  1. i can't wait to see your new apartment and can't wait to go to hilton head. i am glad you are settling in. will see you in october i hope. love you guys

    ReplyDelete