Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Cel-e-Brate AGAIN!


Well I am just going to make you wait until the end to find out why!!
We had a great weekend visiting with friends and family at the beach!  Jason had off Thursday and Friday so we packed our bags and headed north along Highway 17 and met up with Megan and Sean in Mrytle Beach.  We stayed at their very nice 2 bedroom condo with an awesome balcony.  Sometimes I forget how nice it is to watch the waves at night or watch a storm roll through- (we saw an awesome storm on Thursday night!).  We went out to dinner at Hamburger Joe's, the boys had too many drinks, we buzzed shopped at the Bargain (such treasures they have!),and then we played cards late into the night.  The next day we were able to spend it at the beach and play cornhole, swim, and relax.  It was great to catch up and spend time together!!
Jase and I took off Friday evening and headed north to the beautiful Emerald Isle.  We got to visit with Audrey and Charles that night as we waited for H.C. and Kristen to get there.  We were all too pooped to get ice cream that night, but we did go Sat. night.  We had a beautiful long day at the beach on Saturday with sandwiches and watermelon and peaches and great conversation.  Jason and I couldn't get over how beautiful the water looked and how refreshing it felt after spending the summer down here at Tybee in the brown hot water.  We never wanted to leave!  We had Audrey's yummy lasagna and H.C.'s fresh veggies for dinner before riding our bikes up to the Sweet Spot for some ice cream. (I had Raspberry Rocky Road).  We went for a nice long bike ride that night along the sound side before my butt got too sore and then headed back.  Sunday we ran into some rain, but that didn't stop us from hitting the beach with our tent before dinner and then everyone heading back home!  It was a great trip and I really wish we didn't live 6 hours away from the beach house now.  Sad!

And now for the good news!  I got a call on Friday of last week while at the beach from the department head at Hilton Head High School requesting an interview for a teaching position.  Some of you may remember that this is the same school that called me for an interview the week before my honeymoon and I ran out and got clothes for it and then they cancelled while I was in Mexico because their district would not release them funds to hire anyone out of district.  Well apparently last Thursday they finally got approval to hire again and they were on a whirlwind to get me in there before school starts for teachers next week on Monday Aug. 9.  So I had my interview on today (Tuesday) and this afternoon the principal called and offered me the position!  I will be teaching all US History which is a dream come true, and 4 of the 6 classes are AP US History which is advanced students.  Of course there are negatives in that the only reason they are bringing in someone from the outside is because they expect their scores to go up so that is mucho pressure on me.  Also, from what I got from the interview, there are some very "involved" (aka PESKY) parents at this school.  I mean, it is Hilton Head- the richest community in the area.  I am moving from a school where the largest club was Future Farmers of America to a school that has a CREW and Lacrosse team.... can I handle this?  So I might be up against some parents when little Johnny and Sally bring home a B instead of an A.  Also, because it is an advanced school with an IB program, the AP US course is offered in the 10th grade year and I have never taught Sophomores.  There is a BIG difference between 10th and 11th grade year (I mean 11th graders can like, drive--- geez), so I am nervous about whether these kids will be mature enough and academically ready for tough ole J.Smith's class.  I didn't earn my past scores by being sweet and fluffy.  So there you have it!  I am officially a SeaHawk starting Monday!!  I am so excited to have a job, paycheck, and something to work at during the week I could jump up and down over and over..... or maybe just go have a margarita!
Check out the school here-

4 comments:

  1. Jenny! That's so exciting for you! Jason actually told me the good news over the phone and I am stoked! (I really felt the urge to use that word) Actually, I think I even used it when I was talking on the phone to Jason. I know that is a huge weight lifted off of your shoulders. That principal must have really wanted you at their school! That's crazy that you have to start right away. Welcome to the school! Haha. Hopefully everyone will be really helpful. Well, best of luck to you with these parents! Maybe it won't be as bad at the high school age. I can't imagine teaching at the elementary school there! Parents can be pretty crazy. I know we will be hearing stories about your new school adventures. Can't wait! I wish we could be there again to celebrate with you. Congratulations!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. jenny and jason, i am so excited for you and you guys, i know that is huge, as Lauren said that must be a huge weight lifted off you so i expect your back to feel better. we had a great time at the beach, i won't tell you i had a hot fudge sunday with wet walnuts after you guys left. we went on the pier and it was absolutely beautiful. are you driving to gboro to pick up your stuff, too bad you can't talk someone into meeting you halfway. you and jase have a great week. we will be leaving for colorado friday and have lots to do. love you guys

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so happy for you, Jenny! You will be able to handle it - you will be GREAT and what an awesome career move! You were meant to teach History - I wish I could've had you for a teacher b/c I know you are so hilarious and engaging - the kids will love you and you'll be doing them a favor by being hard on them! And, btw, LOL on the largest club being the FFA club. Not that there's anything wrong w/farming, of course, but you are crackin' me up! As usual! :) That's awesome they have a Crew team - I think you're going to love it!!! Maybe our luck will change too soon and we can come for a visit! :) Love you!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sean said that he didn't remember any of those pics...not sure how i missed this post before now. Hope the new job is going well and you are getting your copies made in adequate time. i miss you jstray!!!

    ReplyDelete