Thursday, March 25, 2010

The Adventure Begins....



Well, Jason has been in Savannah since October but I have officially resigned by position as a teacher this week. So we now begin to plan for our new home and life together as a married couple in Savannah, GA in June/July 2010! It is all very exciting and stressful, but mostly both of us can not WAIT to actually live in the same city again. So far we have started hunting for apartments, which has been hard because Savannah has surprisingly high rent rates and pockets of crime that we are trying to avoid. Also, since I am a girl and "slightly" want to be in control, it is hard for me to just let Jason see all the places himself and just take his word on what he sees and likes! I want to see them too! We of course are trying to pick a 2 bedroom place so that people can come visit us and and stay with us, but budget might win this battle.

Our other large adventure is finding me a JOB. Jason has been talking with talent acquisition at his hospital and trying to flirt with all the nurses at work, and I have been revamping my resume, but the question remains.... To Teach, or Not to Teach? Ever since I resigned at work this week, people have been saying negative things about the schools in Savannah, which I had already heard. Also, sadly, after 3 years I sometimes feel that I am not making a difference. I go back and forth most days because I know that I am good at my job, but sometimes it is very disheartening and unrewarding. So I'm weighing my options and I guess I will just apply for many things and see what opens up for me. By June I might just be praying that ANY job is available!

So far here is what Jason has taught me about what I have to look forward to in Savannah:

1. Beautiful Riverfront and houses
2. Warm weather year round
3. Flat roads to run on
4. Publix grocery stores (ice cream especially)
5. Beach 20 min away

Things that Jason has warned me about that I am getting nervous about:
1. Warm weather year round (I will miss my seasons)
2. Smelly marshes
3. Lack of support for ACC sports (guess we will need to pick a SEC team)
4. Tourist traffic
5. High Crime (nothing mace can't handle right? maybe Buckets can move with us?)

Anyhow, here is to preparing for and getting excited for our big move! Thank you in advance to those of you who will be helping us!

5 comments:

  1. I'm glad you started this. Now we can keep up with you when you move (not that that wasn't going to happen anyway :)).
    And I know you are making a difference in the lives of so many students even though you might not see instant gratification. So I hope you will continue teaching or something of the sort.
    Looking forward to this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. warm weather year-round is a GOOD thing, i swear! you can always just take your vacations to the cold places.

    and as for the crime, i had similar worries with denver (and still do...shouldn't have watched the gangland "mile high killers" special last week). but as you said, it almost always really is pockets, and you will quickly learn where they are and avoid them.

    goooooooooooood luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea!! I was thinking about doing one too when I move up to Wisconsin this summer. Sadly, I'm moving north instead of south :( Oh the things we do for love...Anyway I can't wait to come and visit, Cam and I have already talked about a combined trip to Charleston and Savannah to visit friends. And we're perfectly comfortable on a couch/the floor :)

    Can't wait to hear about all your adventures once you move! And I'm looking forward to getting to hang out some during wedding festivities in the next few months! Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG!!!!! Baby in my arms so cant type but OMG!!!!!! Y AY!! and BOOOO...ur leaving NC!!!! :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the blog, sad your moving, looking forward to visiting, even if we have to sleep on the floor. You are amazing and I am glad you are my friend. I am sure that doors will open in Savannah and you will fine the right apartment and job. Sean and I are here for you guys if you need anything!!

    Love you!

    ReplyDelete