Monday, May 2, 2011

Daycare Drama

Oh Baby!  We have been researching daycares.  Sigh.  What an overwhelming experience!! (and we do not even live in a big town!).  First, everyone that you ask will have a different opinion or each daycare.  So that was not really helpful.  Second, both Jason and I work early morning jobs; I need to be at work by 7:15-7:30 and Jason needs to be in Savannah by 7:30 also.  SO, most daycares in our town do not open until 7 or 7:15.  Annoying.  Also, because we both commute, nothing is really close to either of our workplaces.  We are still touring all of them but it has come down to either we need an early morning drop off in Bluffton, OR we will have to find a center on the Island. 
Our next big surprise was how much CRAP you have to send with your baby for daycare.  I am talking about 3 sets of crib sheets, blankets, burp cloths, extra clothes, bottles, passies, kleenex etc. etc.  It only seems like so many things mostly because we don't have any of this yet for ourselves.  It just reminded us of all the things babies require and that we do not know how to use some of them either. 
Lastly, every time I visit a center, it seems to be chaos and babies everywhere.  I know they are fine and the ratios are legal, but I just worry about leaving such a young infant.  I know this is normal and it will get easier, but it is still hard!
We are visiting many this week and on the 19th after our doctor appointment, so we will let everyone know where we decide!

1 comment:

  1. Jenny I hope my email was helpful. I do NOT envy you that whole experience for me was very anxiety provoking!!! Let me know what you find and remember, nothing is permanent and tell me if I can be of any help whatsoever! Have you considered an at home daycare or having a nanny come to your house? I remember saying that I would never send my child to a daycare that was too busy to wipe kids' noses.... I now laugh with the people who were laughing at me when I first said it! Just find a place that makes you feel as comfortable as you can possibly feel... and then come back WITH the baby and see if you still feel that way b/c you'll be amazed how different things are when you're actually holding that angel in your arms! xoxoxo
    And ps, if you need me to, I can cut out a pic of my abs life size and send them to you for comfort.

    ReplyDelete